Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And so it goes

It was a crazy weekend.

I left Austin about 7:15 Friday morning, and after some trouble with a slippy alternator belt on the Mercedes, made it to Decatur about 11:30.  We had intended to test the car on the test and tune day, but various little things delayed us and we got to tech about 3 PM.  Jay himself gave us the inspection (with a lot of raucous laughter in the background about how terrible the car was), and just then the car decided not to run. This generated even more laughter, and we pushed it away with a couple of tasks remaining on the tech sheet.

Unkinking a fuel line and installing a front exhaust mount got us through tech, and there was just less than an hour remaining in the day for testing. Collin took it out, made some laps, and came back saying the brakes were working, but that the car lurched pretty heavily to the left upon braking. This spoke to me of a seized right rear caliper, but not having any spare calipers handy we decided to run it as it was until Csaba could bring us a set.

Spank himself showed up in our space Friday evening and gave us a quick hand in fixing our kinked fuel line, for which we were grateful. Saturday morning dawned bright and cold, and we coaxed the car to start and then went off to the drivers' meeting. Then we came back, bundled Erroll into the car, and sent him off. I had literally barely walked from the paddock to the stands when word came over the radio that Erroll was coming back in. I ran across to pit lane in time to see Erroll drive into the penalty shed. I ran in and asked what happened  - he'd gone two wheels off through the mud, surprised by the lurch the car gave upon braking. Hay told us to take the car back to our space, wash it, and figure out what was wrong. We did this (the clay was like glue, all over the left side), then I got dressed and took it back out.

The brakes were pretty bad, but I got used to the lurch and just automatically corrected for it. The engine was running far better than it ever had, and had plenty of power. The car still rolled heavily in the corners, but once I got used to it I was able to hold a line fairly well.

I had been out about an hour when the brake pedal started feeling soft. Having experienced this in 2009 at MSR, I was a little tentative with it for a lap, and it didn't get worse. I did another lap or two, and again started feeling some variation in pedal travel, but found that after a quick pump they worked great. In retrospect, this was a glaring sign that something was about to go wrong, and I was in fact considering pitting to check things, but they were working and I decided to hold off and see what developed.

What developed was a short three-way battle between the Macaroni Mustang II, the white #91 Celica, and me.  I saw the Celica coming from behind, and on the back straight I managed to pass the Mustang (with a good deal of glee on my part, as passing is not something the Fiat does often). Then the Celica came flying past into the turn, and braked hard in front of me. I hit the brakes with plenty of room to spare, and the pedal went right to the floor without the least hint of resistance. I instinctively turned left into the turn to avoid the Celica, and the rear of the Fiat came out and smacked the Celica hard in the rear sending him into a 270 degree spin in front of me. He stopped facing right and I plowed into him with my remaining momentum.

We sat a few moments in shock, then he restarted his car and got back onto the track. I couldn't find the PTT button for the radio to answer Collin yelling in my ear, but I finally got the car started and trundled slowly off the track to the penalty box. I just let the car stall in gear, and Jay came out and yanked a piece of the broken grill off and offered it to me as a prize from the LeMons judges.

I drove back to the pits in first, at idle speed, and (thinking the problem was with our sketchy rear calipers) we disassembled everything and found them worn and grabby, but otherwise functional. Then we took off the front tires, and found to our horror that the left front inside pad had ground away to nothing, then melted itself to the piston which had finally popped out of the cylinder. The melted circle of pad is still stuck to the cylinder, as there was no way to remove it.

We replaced everything, and Glen took it back out after nearly two hours. The tire was rubbing a little on the smashed fender, but other than that things were better than we deserved.  Jonathan went out next, and got flagged for contact (which according to him was just a close pass but no touching), and they yelled at him and let him go after I promised to have the judges saran-wrap him to the car if he screwed up again (bear in mind this was our 3rd incident of the day, but really the first due to crappy driving). We had just pulled off when Judge Scott came loping back up and said that the Timing and Scoring people weren't happy with us, and perhaps we had better find a traffic cone and bolt it to the car (the so-called Cone of Shame). Collin swiped a cone, and after frantic searching for nuts and bolts, and borrowing a drill, we bolted it on and Jonathan went back out.

Not much time had passed when he got a little excited and went two wheels off again. He came in and before he confessed I loudly said,"Whatever he did, he's done!!!" He confessed, and Jay leaned on the car and said he was sick of seeing us, and to just change drivers and go. Judge John suggested it would behoove Jonathan to sweep the absorbent up off the floor of the penalty box, so he did, all the while being heckled.

Collin took the car out and no incidents occurred for the rest of the day. When he took the checkered for the first day, we brought it back to the paddock and checked the brakes, to find they had worn right down to the metal again, after only four or five hours of driving.

We didn't have much to do on the car Saturday night, so just had fun, and Sunday morning we got Jordan in the car. He drove without incident, and turned it over to Erroll. It was driving considerably better, and at noon Judge John took it out for a spin, which excited us as we thought maybe he was looking at it for the Index of Effluency award. There was also a pretty tight race developing between us, the NSF Barracuda, and the Macaroni Mustang II for the Class C lead. After noon we passed the Mustang to take second place, and were about 30 laps behind the Barracuda. However, the Barracuda kept dropping out for various reasons (brakes, chiefly), and we narrowed the gap to 19 laps on one of their big outages. We swapped pads after the judge drove, and were good to go for the rest of the day, but the Barracuda came back out and maintained their lead. I got back in the car about 3, and finished under the checkered.

No comments:

Post a Comment